Sunday, October 6, 2013

STEM equitability

The video depicting the science fair representatives from each state at the White House is truly inspiring. However it wakes in me serious issues as to the fairness and equitable distribution of capital in education I don't want to sound redundant, or pessimistic, but STEM programs are funded directly by the government. If there are key players that have a financial and political influence over where the money is allocated, where does that leave the schools in the inner cities or in rural areas? Let me be more explicit...where does that leave those schools in those areas that have mostly reduced or free lunch students in their classrooms? Where does that leave Black and Hispanic kids? I have personally subbed in a variety of schools all over NYC and seen first hand where much of the money goes. Schools that consist of mostly White and Asian students receive funding for technology first. It took me years to see Smart Boards in a high needs "black" school. And then when I left New York, the SpEd classrooms STILL didn't have them. I work in a different state now and the Indigenous people have so many privileges that kids back in New York could only dream of. Kids don’t need to buy anything for school. Materials are already provided. And while many parents do a great job of raising their kids to pull their own weight, many more have a sense of entitlement. This is a pervasive sentiment that is not specific to where I work now. I’ve seen it all over the schools in which I’ve subbed in NY in spite of the lack of funding as more and more, parents have been given newer rights and access to information that was before kept under lock and key. While I am not trying to imply that a lack of technology speaks to a students’ ability, I am implying that policies in education that place minorities at the bottom of the educational hierarchy does speak volumes as to the fundamental thinking in their logic as to the importance that should be placed on minority students. With a monopoly on who gets the resources and how they are gotten, the question isn’t about the programs’ sustainability. It is about its feasibility. This being said, the feasibility of the STEM initiative and its sustainability for the future are hopeful, but for it to be equal and fair, the allocation of monies should be disbursed based on need, not on greed. I urge you to review “The Corporation” it’s free on Youtube. You can also watch the documentaries “Park Avenue : Money Power and the American Dream” "Poor Us: an animated history - Why Poverty?" and “Education, Education.” In "Poor us", you will see that poverty is essential to keeping rich people rich. hence, the inequalities in public education, because education is the 'way out.' In "Education, Education" You will see the issue form a different perspective as it relates to the Chinese. I have a friend who lives and works in China. He said teachers are like celebrities out there, and when you see the video, you will understand why.

2 comments:

  1. I thank you for posting this. I will continue watching "The Corporation" on youtube. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete